Friday, February 1, 2008

Business is a form of laziness

Today it's just me writing. Right now I'm reading the 4 hour work week and it is blowing my mind. One thing I've read and made note of is "Business is a form of laziness". This is something I've always believed and now I've found it in a book that backs it up for me. Why is it so? Making yourself busy just to feel productive is a waste of time, and we do it because we are avoiding more important tasks that we think are too hard. When we are doing things we need to take note and think hard about what we are doing. Is what we are doing being efficient or effective. It's good to be efficient but are those things we are getting done making a difference and bringing us forward. Effective things help us eliminate those repetitive things we keep doing. Think about how many times you check your email. Do you really have to be looking at it every 10 mins, or can it wait another couple hours. I would argue that there is noting so important coming in every 10 mins that needs to be done then and there. All those 10 mins add up fast, and take away time from the important tasks that need to get done. Try it tomorrow, only check your email once an hour, then the next day only every 2 hours. Push this until you are only opening your email every 4 hours. You just saved yourself about an extra couple hours a day to get more done. And when you are doing those things make sure they are efficient things that helping you eliminate those repetitive things. Next thing you know you have a ton of free time to spend doing more of what you love. This is a very high level down to earth example of what is in the book, and I'm sure it's a little different than what the book says, but it's close enough for me to preach it and help spread it. try and let me know the results.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: